Project Update: October 2022
This project is led by representatives from Albert Lea City Council, Freeborn County Commission, City and County staff members, Freeborn County Statewide Health Improvement Partnership (SHIP), and the Freeborn County Trails Association. MnDOT funded this Trail Action Plan as part of the Minnesota Active Transportation Program.
Our team met in early October to kick-off our planning process. We confirmed our planning process and schedule, and discussed the principles of active transportation planning. We also did a team visioning and goal-setting activity to guide the plan. Some key themes of the activity included:
- Create connections to the Blazing Star Trail, other communities, and to destinations in town
- Improve health and wellness in the community
- Make the trail beautiful
- Attract tourism
- Ensure that Albert Lea is a place that people want to live and stay
- Instill community pride
- Make sure the trail serves everyone and helps to connect people to each other
- Provide an alternative to driving a vehicle
- Be different and stand out! Make it special!
We also identified existing engagement activities already occurring in Albert Lea and ideas for effective ways to connect with people throughout our planning process. We are currently outlining the specific events and activities we will do to engage people in Albert Lea. Look for more information and ways to get involved as we continue to build out our Trail Action Plan.